- demonstrate appropriate knowledge and skills in primary, secondary and tertiary oral health care
- relate the scientific basis of health and clinical sciences to the technical and vocational aspects of oral health therapy practice
- provide care for people that protects their dignity, autonomy, cultural and social values
- demonstrate a capacity to design, implement and evaluate preventive interventions at the individual or community level
- demonstrate an ability and the confidence to collaborate with all members of the dental team and professionals from other areas such as health, welfare and education
- demonstrate an approach to professional practice incorporating intellectual integrity, self evaluation, development and lifelong learning
The Bachelor of Oral Health (BOH) is a three year, full-time fixed course with a combined vocational outcome of hygiene and therapy
Bachelor of Oral Health graduates work as oral health therapists (dental therapists and hygienists) in both the public and private sectors, in general and specialist practice. They provide dental care in collaborative and referral relationships with dentists.
Dental therapists provide dental care for children and adolescents. They examine oral and dental conditions, restore and conserve permanent and deciduous teeth, perform extractions of deciduous teeth, and remove calculus. Under recent changes dental therapists are also able to provide care to adults under certain circumstances.
Dental hygienists provide dental care for all age groups. They examine and record the nature and severity of periodontal conditions, and clean, scale and root-plane teeth.
Both therapists and hygienists provide oral health advice and a range of orthodontic and preventive procedures including impressions, topical fluoride applications and fissure sealants. They also take and interpret radiographs.
Graduates typically find employment in private practices, public hospitals and the health services. Graduates also work in oral health research and teaching. Employment prospects are excellent.