Doctor of Optometry

4 years full-time, Parkville — Domestic and International students. CRICOS code: 072811B

We have guessed you’re

More information

If I am applying through the University's guaranteed entry scheme, do I need to sit the GAMSAT?

No, you do not. However, if you are not confident of maintaining the required GPA in your final year – we recommend you sit the GAMSAT (or equivalent) to ensure you can still apply.

Information about Guaranteed Entry Pathways into Doctor of Optometry

After completing the Doctor of Optometry, can I practise as a therapeutically endorsed Optometrist in Australia?

You can apply for accreditation from the Optometry Board of Australia. Graduates from the Doctor of Optometry are also eligible for accreditation in many other countries around the world.
Note: the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) requires that all Optometry graduates demonstrate English language skills at IELTS 7 or equivalent before being considered for professional registration by the Optometry Board of Australia. You will need to have valid test results from IELTS (Academic) examinations prior to applying for registration.

If I want to practise as an optometrist in Canada after completing the Doctor of Optometry (OD) at the University of Melbourne, what do I need to do for registration?

According to The Canadian Association of Optometrists website - "Becoming a Doctor of Optometry" International graduates are considered to be those individuals who have obtained their optometric education from a school other than those accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education.
International graduates may be eligible to obtain a license or certificate of registration to practise in a province or territory in Canada. International graduates are encouraged to contact the optometric regulator in the province or territory in which they are interested to determine if they are eligible for a license or certificate of registration to practise in that jurisdiction. International graduates may be referred by an optometric regulator to the Director of the International Optometric Bridging Program of the University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario for an evaluation of their educational and professional credentials and an opinion on their equivalency to those required in a particular jurisdiction.

What is the University of Waterloo International Optometric Bridging Program?

The University of Waterloo, in collaboration with the College of Optometrists of Ontario, offers the International Optometric Bridging Program (IOBP). Designed to provide optometrists educated outside Canada and the United States with a structured orientation to Canadian standards of optometric practice, the program provides all qualified applicants with the critical language, academic and clinical skills necessary for registration in all provinces of Canada.
There are two programs, depending on students backgrounds:

  • Bridging One, a four month academic program
  • Bridging Two, a year-long structured academic program

Can I defer my place in the course?

No. You should apply for the year you would like to begin study. If you decline your offer you are welcome to apply again the following year but as the pool of applicants changes from year to year there is no guarantee you will be offered a place again.

Start your online application

Have a question? Make an enquiry
Have a question? Make an enquiry

Thank you for your enquiry. One of our staff members will be in contact within the next three business days.