The Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences offers an exciting and rigorous APAC accredited Fourth Year program through providing an equal combination of advanced coursework subjects and research with leading experts in their field:
- Acquire the knowledge, skills, and scholarship necessary for achieving excellence in psychology
- Following intensive teaching by leading researchers in the field, critically analyse your existing knowledge about a research topic before conducting research
- Excellent opportunity to submit work for journal publication providing a head start on a potentially highly productive career in research
The fourth year program is also designed to provide students with the opportunities to learn the intellectual background, ethical principles, and content areas of psychology as a scientific discipline, and to acquire the general skills for:
- Critically analysing the existing knowledge about a research topic prior to one's own research (e.g. conceptual analysis of relevant content area/literature/intervention program etc., critical appraisal of one's own and others' research, generation of productive research questions);
- Constructing a research plan (eg. research design, methods of observation) to address one's research question;
- Executing one's research plan adequately to obtain data;
- Analysing the data to address the research question appropriately; and
- Discussing the implications of the results coherently within the context of the existing knowledge relevant to the research topic.
Graduates with a three-year undergraduate psychology APAC accredited sequence may be eligible to study one of the following fourth year courses:
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours): requires completion of a Bachelor of Arts degree. Course code: BH-ARTS
- Bachelor of Science (Honours): requires a Bachelor of Science degree (or an equivalent qualification recognised by the Faculty of Science). Course code: BH-SCI
- Graduate Diploma in Psychology (Advanced): requires a Bachelor degree (or equivalent qualification) that does not qualify for entry to BA (Hons) in Arts or BSc (Hons) in Science, or a combined Honours program. Course code: GDA-PSYCH
Note that the structure for all three Psychology fourth year courses is the same. Deferrals for the programs is not permitted. Applicants who have been given an offer will need to re-apply for the following year.