This course will equip students entering healthcare programs with knowledge of the basic concepts of human anatomy, physiology and biochemistry.
Grasping bioscience concepts without having a science background or when returning to studies after an educational gap can be a daunting task. A significant proportion of students entering the Master of Nursing Science (MNSci) program come from a diverse range of non-science backgrounds. Some of these students have difficulty in coping with the level of scientific content in the nursing science subjects. Students with science backgrounds returning to graduate studies after several years may also struggle with the content leading to poor academic outcomes. The course covers the fundamentals of human life from cell structure and function to organs and body systems as well as a range of chemical processes that are critical in sustaining life.
The course is highly recommended for students entering MNSci program from a non-science background and students from science backgrounds who have not studied for several years. It is also suitable for students at all levels of clinical practice as well as registered healthcare professionals who are looking to refresh their bioscience knowledge.
- Develop a basic understanding of the chemical reactions that take place in the human body, and the structural and functional components of the cell.
- Gain knowledge of the different types of tissues, organs and body systems.
- Understand the structure and function of the endocrine and nervous systems.
- Understand the structure and function of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, including the components of the blood.
- Understand the structure and function of the genitourinary system.
I became very excited when commencing and re learning about the ‘cell’. It was easy to follow and the little quiz throughout the course helps to consolidate your learning – then at the end of each tutorial there is a 10 question multiple choice, but the great thing is, it is like an open book where you can go back and read over the course to answer the questions. This course is informative, with great information, at times I thought about how someone without any science/nursing back ground would complete this, but it is well written and covers topics with just enough depth to get you thinking about things. I really enjoyed undertaking this, at times I was challenged but it was great learning and really refreshed my knowledge.