Successful completion of this program qualifies registered nurses to administer vaccines on the National Immunisation Program schedule (NIPs) in accordance with the Nurse Immuniser regulation in the State in which they work. Students will be able to practice as Nurse Immunisers in Victoria, South Australia and some other states upon completion of the program.
This program of study will focus on the theory and practical components of adult and childhood immunisations and includes:
- an overview of public health and the National Immunisation Program
- clinical issues relevant to nurses administering immunisations
- vaccines included in the National Immunisation Program and vaccine catch up
- the storage and handling of vaccines including cold chain management
- the regulatory requirements relating to the administration of vaccines by registered nurses.
The learning outcomes of the program are consistent with the National Immunisation Education Framework for Health Professionals.