- acquire essential factual knowledge to become a general dentist and leader of the oral health team
- disease processes and mechanisms together with their aetiologyclinical manifestations, prevention and treatment
- professional skills and attitudes expected of a dental practitioner
- the ability to critically appraise research evidence relevant to common oral problems
- induce oral health changes in individual patients and their families
- practise effectively in oral health promotion and education
- achieve the competencies identified by the Dental Practice Boards of Australia necessary for practice as a registered general dentist
- communicate effectively with patients and their relatives, also with professional colleagues and members of other health professions.
The Doctor of Dental Surgery is Australia's only masters-level qualification for training general dental practitioners. The Doctor of Dental Surgery creates a new benchmark in 21st century education.
The degree leads to registration as a general dental practitioner with the Dental Practice Board in Australia and New Zealand, and creates a pathway to enter the Master of Philosophy, PhD or Doctor of Clinical Dentistry.
With state-of-the-art technologies, the Doctor of Dental Surgery uses new infrastructure, including a 100 seat pre-clinical laboratory and the new Melbourne University Dental Clinic, for advanced clinical teaching.
Highly qualified academics with research experience from leading universities around the world deliver the course using lectures, pre-clinical practical classes and clinical patient treatments in all specialties of dentistry.
The curriculum is based on scientific evidence in oral health, imparting advanced philosophies, skills and knowledge related to all areas of clinical dental practice and research.
As part of the four year full-time degree, students spend significant time in provision of patient care, using advanced materials and clinical methods, as well as undertake a two-year research project in oral health. In final year, students have the unique opportunity to experience working in a private practice setting, and they learn how to run a small business.
Located in Carlton, the Melbourne Dental School provides a stimulating and intellectually challenging environment at the forefront of oral health, state-of-the-art technologies and international collaborations, particularly in the Asia-Pacific region.